Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

New Literacies

New Literacies is what I would love to be teaching more in my classroom. At this point in time it is anything to do with the internet/media. Students are able to create using the computer (media, photographs, video, audio, etc.) when learning. "New Literacies" is changing all the time therefore, it might not be the same tomorrow as it is today because something new can be invented. The new literacies now is a way we can motivate students to learn. We still need to teach in the "old" ways but also incorporating the new literacies. I know the students would enjoy it even more. The students use these at home why not incorporate it in school. Unfortunately, we are not all fortunate to be technology advanced in our schools and this is where I feel we do an injustice to our students. I feel that some students would be learning more and like school more if we were able to incorporate the new literacies more. In my classroom I try to incorporate new literacies as much as I can with my mimo board, but I don't to have computers for all my students. When the students go to their "computer" class, I am not sure what they do. I would love to be able to work with the teacher and create an integrated lesson together but the time does not allow us to. I feel that other aspects in our teaching come first and in some schools are more important because of the pressure teachers and administrators have. I wish that all the politicians who want to change education look and see how we are lacking in technology and how important it is to include it in our everyday teaching.In New Literacies it is also very important to teach the students to analyze and decipher what information is appropriate and not appropriate. That is part of having the students be critical thinkers.

In a class prior to this, a friend and I made a project of different Technology that could be used in the classroom. When looking for information we found two great videos about the vision of 21st century learners and teachers. I have posted them here. They truly are inspiring. I just hope that one day ALL schools will be able to have the access to all the new technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment