Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Vocabulary Animoto

Each week we have a main story from our anthology book. This week the story is The Alvin Ailey Kids...Dance as a Team. With each story comes 5 to 6 vocabulary words. Usually I introduce them in our word splash, we define them, go over how to use them in a sentence, and use them during our guided reading centers. So I always thought how can vocabulary be fun? Well on Monday morning I went to work and thought, let me try an animoto, just like the other student in Prof. Judy's on campus class did. The hard part was to find realia pictures to go with the words but I think I picked out some good ones. I shared it with my colleague as well so she can use it. After I introduced them vocabulary as always, I showed them the animoto. The students loved it. Some students were dancing to the music while looking at the vocabulary word. I felt that the students were able to make a connection with the word, picture, and definition. Some students read it aloud. I was impressed with their reaction. In the animoto I had the words repeat twice so that they can see it more than once. After watching it, they wanted to see it again. Therefore, I got an idea that I would show them the two minute animoto each day, so that they can use the vocabulary more. Today when they saw it more students started to read the definitions out loud. I am going to try to do an animoto each week for the vocabulary. I hope this motivates them and helps them incorporate their vocabulary more.

For example we wrote a squiggle story today (thank you Maggie), and one of my students said "Mrs. Lopez, I included two vocabulary words in my story. They were proud and perform." I was so impressed and happy that she used them. I hope that more of my students will do the same.

Here is the animoto I used. I didn't notice but it is one of the most famous songs they have on the website. My students loved it though!



This is a great tool to use! 

7 comments:

  1. This is great. I wish I were in your class. I know it will be hard to keep up with this weekly, but what a great way to help students learn new words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention, you are weeks ahead. You now have a project completed that is really due for our 5th class! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great experience for your students! I also made an animoto to try with my Kindrgarteners to review the vowel sounds- like your students, they loved it and got more out of it than I expected!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I want to try this in my classroom. Vocab is always key. This would be great for science and social studies vocabulary too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taini that is awesome! What a great way to teach vocab. Love the realia :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Job!!!I wish my friends could read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to get the students motivated! I really think this would be an excellent opportunity for teachers to differentiate for their special ed students, too. The non linguistic representations were right on. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete