Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Early Childhood Websites

Starfall is a great sight for younger grades. It is a great tool to use to go over the alphabet and vowels. It is a great website to share with parents so they can use it at home with their students. It has steps from ABCs, to Learn to Read, It's Fun to Read and I'm Reading. I have used this website for my guided reading groups reading at another grade level and in my SRBI Tier 2 and 3 groups. 


Read, Write, Think was a website a professor in my undergrad had introduced me to. Ever since then I have seen many teachers talk about it and I have used it myself. They have great lesson plans on writing and reading. The lessons are divided by grade levels. I really like that they have added the interactive sections for students to use. I really like the one where the students create their own letters. It is a great website to keep in hand and in our Diigo. 


This website seemed very good for teachers in K and 1. They had some great thematic units. Their site also talks about their workshops. Unfortunately, it is too far for us, but they do give information about it online. Good resource to have in hand. 


This seemed like a great website. This would be great at a listening center where students can read books and see the words. The only downfall of this website is that you need to subscribe to it. With the budgets not being great, it would be hard to get this for our school. However, it is a great site to keep in mind if you would like to use it at home with your own children and pay the fee. 


Scholastic.com has always been a website I have used for resources. I use it for scholastic book club, scholastic news and to look up lesson plans. When looking through it today I noticed how many different interactive activities it has for students. This is a great website for my class and grade. I will keep looking into this website and see what else is available. They had great videos of authors, books to read and it is for all ages. Here is one interactive tool I found that I would love to use with my students during computer time one day: StoryStarters. I know that my fellow teachers would like it too. What do you think of it? 


This is a great website for kids. I love the videos they have. I have used them with science. Great website to keep in our diigo account. 




3 comments:

  1. Technolgy question for you- how do you turn the picture for the website into the link to the site? I have tried to do this without success, any help would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played around with it alot to get it to work. I don't know why it is not easy sometimes. But you have to click the pictures a few times and then the link to make it into a link. Maybe I can show you tomorrow in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried lnking through pictures too and had problems...I really liked the links we explored. so many great resources that will be very useful in the classroom

    ReplyDelete