Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Digital Story Tools

When on 50+ Web 2.0 Ways Tell a Story, I found some great digital story tools to use. At first it seemed overwhelming, but once I found the page where he had all the 50+ web tools I felt a little more at ease. I liked how he divided them into section. It was easier for me to choose some to play around with. Digital story is a great way to communicate with others using pictures, text and sound. The stories can be short. One important thing I learned while playing around with some of these tools is that a storyboard is important this way you know what you would like to say when recording your voice.

Blabberize was the first tool that I used. It was easy to use, however recording my voice was not fun. Again using a story board would have helped a lot, but since I was just playing with it, I didn't come up with one quickly. Blabberize is a website where you can grab an image and add your voice to it. I could see myself using this site as a way for students to talk about themselves, especially in the beginning of the year when we are getting to know each other. Instead of posters I could have them make an About Me blabber. Here is my first blabber, but remember it was just a trial.

 

Yodio is a website where you can play with audio and pictures. With this website you can use your phone to record your message. The yodio also shows what you say in a tab on the top of the image. Here is an example from the website:


PhotoPeach reminds me of animoto. It is easy to use as well. Has less music choices but loved using it. You can also use it as an educator. The only thing I didn't see when playing with it was how to add audio. I would have to look into it more to see if you can add your own voice. Here is an example of what I did:
You know spring is here when... on PhotoPeach

 

Bubblr is a create tool to create comic strips. This would be great for my students who love to read comic strips and are trying to create their own. The images can come from flickr or from certain single user accounts. You then drag the pictures to the comic strip and add a comic thought bubble. Here are examples from the site:


Pixton is another great tool to create comic strips. This website gives you the pictures but you can move the characters around. I was not able to play around with it but here is an example from online:


These are just a few that I was able to look at but wow, I cannot believe the amount of tools available for us to use. As many of us have been mentioning it is very overwhelming. However it is very exciting to see the possibilities. I hope to be able to see what other websites I can play with. 

What were your favorite digital storytelling tools? 

NETS for Students: 1 and 2
NETS for TEachers: 2

2 comments:

  1. Taini- this is an amazing blog post! I will definately keep it in mind when I get the opportunity to explore other digital storytelling tools. I did some reading about Yodio but this is the first time I've seen it in action. Why did I not see the images change? Can the images change? At the moment my students are loving storybird and because they are so excited about this tool, I am loving it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I apologize about Yodio, this was the one site that I had trouble copying the code completely. It only let me copy part, therefore the images are not moving. If you go to the website you can see other examples, and the slides do move with the voices. It is really nice! I like it but for older students, not second grade. I really like story bird as well and am using it with my students. I cannot believe how into their stories they are.

    ReplyDelete